Monday 18 April 2011

Realizations

what is on my mind today.

Really its not that hard to achieve nirvana. ha! there I said it. I am a flat mouth, big mouth whatever mouth but I am saying it. Its not me being arrogant and saying I know it all. Its just me letting out what I feel most of the days but am too scared to say it out loud because of what people will think. but this is my space and I am saying what I would like to say. It feels like talking to myself in a mirror with a slight possibility that somebody might be evesdropping, but with my permission. You can read it and tell me to shut the fuck up, or tell me if you like it or tell me something in return or just read it.
So I was saying that its not that hard to achieve nirvana if you really understand it. You only have to just a tad bit detached from the world, its worldly attractions, distractions, the wonderful ups and the saddening downs and the evermore wonderful ups after the downs :-). I think I finally understood compassion at this point of time. I felt it countless times but never got around to recognizing that feeling to be compassion. But everytime I felt it, it wrenched my soul shook my whole body and left me with a saddness in my heart to see the karmic world rotate with all the good and bad deeds of the people like us. People with different names, faces but with the same fate awaiting them.
My journey of realizations started with a book I read. "City of Joy" thats the book I read when I was in school and since then it has made home in my thoughts. It tells the story about a poor indian family in calcutta who are driven to the city by hopeless state in their village, drought, famine, debts, more debts, people commiting suicide around them. They come to the city with nothing but hearts filled with hope. They work their asses off, suffers atrocities. I felt that though the book was telling the story of one family, it kind of related with the majority of people we see daily on the streets. I literally cried through many chapters in the book. So now when I see poor people on the roadside doing the hardest jobs but making very little for all the hardwork, sweat and blood they put it, it breaks my heart. If it was just one person suffering like that, then I would have gone out of the way to make this world a better, smoother place for them. But there are so many of them, each one with a sadder story to tell that it breaks my heart. Apart from giving a few ruppees one can do nothing more than that. But in all the hopelessness, there is one thing we can do, one thing that we have been taught to do since we were little, is to feel their sorrow and pray for them. So at the risk of sounding hypocritical and all, I am telling here what I do. I pray, I pray hard for them. I pray that their life gets a little better. If not in this life then in another life maybe that these people experience happiness, wellness and abundance. And there is another thing I do which I totally have the power to do is smile at them, talk to them nicely. Treat them nicely like actual human being in the hope of making the smallest of difference in their lives.

After attending many teachings, I came to realize that what I felt at those times was compassion. Its when we act on those compassion and give up everything we got to relieve them of their pains and attain the highest degree of satisfaction and happiness in doing so is when we achieve Nirvana. Thats my theory, it may not be exactly right but I know in my heart that it is not entirely wrong also. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment